Immersive Video Production - Project 2

  

4/5/2026 - 7/6/2025 / Week 3- Week 7
ChenYuhan / 0378131
Film Studies and Cinematography / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Project 2


TABLE OF CONTENTS





INSTRUCTIONS

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/11bZ5iqwIfSGH6c_sXOvySRQZOWJisj2O/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>


LECTURES

Week 3:




Week 4:




Week 5:

There were no classes this week. Mr. Martin rewrote our previously filmed video and suggested we redo it for a better score and to gain a better understanding of 360-degree video recording.

I'll go into detail about Project 2 below.

Week 6:


Week 7:
Public Holiday

Click here to go to the top

PROJECT 2

In Project 2, we needed to design a 360-degree video that was engaging enough to draw people in and make them observe their surroundings, with each scene connected by a clever plot.

Initially, I envisioned a convenience store scene. Convenience stores are everyday places, and they offer a wide variety of items to keep people observing their environment. However, I quickly ran into a problem of not being able to come up with an interesting response. To make a convenience store less boring, the only things I could think of were pretending to be a clerk, deflating chip bags, or even stealing snacks. But I couldn't actually do that; I'd get arrested.

So, with Mr. Martin's permission, I changed my scene. This time, it was set in a room. I could turn myself upside down in this room, making the audience curious about whether the room was upside down or not. Then, I thought of using editing to show two versions of myself, letting them meet. My final idea was for me to throw a ball, or something else, and then the other version of myself would catch it.

Mr. Martin approved my ideas.

Fig. 1.1, First video, week 5 (2026/05/18)

Regarding part 1 of the video, I want to create a scene where a person is walking up and down stairs in an upside-down environment, but I need some time for a lot of post-production editing and effects. I haven't finished it yet; this is just an experiment.

Regardless, after watching our video, Mr. Martin advised us to redo it entirely. We had misunderstood the core message: we needed to remember we were shooting a 360-degree video, and we needed to draw the viewer's attention to introduce the environment. Otherwise, our footage would be no different from any other mobile phone shot.

After clarifying this, Mr. Martin and I redesigned the video.

First, based on the video I made, Mr. Martin and I retained two crucial elements: multiple versions of myself and the interactive feel created by the tossing action across the frame. Because my first segment was in a stairwell, and then multiple versions of myself appeared later, Mr. Martin suggested that this version of myself should be present from the beginning, so the audience would be guessing from the start and keeping them interested.

So, the final concept was that I was in the stairwell, with another version of myself following me, but I didn't notice. When I returned to my room to work, she reappeared in front of me. If it were me at that moment, I would definitely wonder, is this real or fake? I would feel fear, surprise, and tension. So, I threw a doll to try and prove whether she was real or fake. She caught it and started randomly appearing in the room, attracting the audience's attention, before finally returning the doll to me. When I looked again, she had disappeared. So, I went back the way I came to try and find her. At the end of the shoot, she smiled at the camera to create suspense by breaking the fourth wall.

Fig. 1.2, Editing process, week 6 (2026/05/25)

Fig. 1.3, Final Video, Week 6 (2026/05/25)

Mr. Martin said that some editing transitions weren't perfectly smooth. But as an attempt, there has been progress, and importantly, you learn from making mistakes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Film Studies and Cinematography - Project 1

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING - PROJECT 2

Digital Photography and Imaging - Week11